SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lightnings vs Scots vs Snark vs Sunfish
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013
Little Fish

HollieMac is on a distinguished road
Re: Lightnings vs Scots vs Snark vs Sunfish

Thank you Alex, and All responders, your comments greatly appreciated.
There is a great buy on a Lightning very near me, so I was interested again in sailing my local reservoir, but I bought a Siren years ago and it sat in my barn for 15 yrs because I couldn't raise the mast alone. The buyer of my boat said that was actually doable but he was near to driving away with it at the time. I absolutely need to be able to raise the mast alone. Launching and trailering are no issues. I trailer and launch power boats alone.

While I was windsurfing at a different reservoir last week a couple of great sailors put me in the cockpit of a Windrider and the afternoon just blew by.
So that got me thinking again about what I could get on the water with locally (our local puddle does not allow you to be in the water, so a cat is a bit more risky there) Yes I would love to have tons of sail area, but I have to be able to single hand it. So I wondered how closely a 90 pound boat with a 120 pound person could go as fast as a 400 pound boat with 4 times the sail area. You've given me a couple of other options to look at and I Thank You All.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook