SailNet Community - View Single Post - Building a Rudder Newport 30
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 02-02-2007
rudder rebuild

An interesting post. I did almost the exact rebuild for my C&C 27 spade rudder.NACA profile and heavy reenforced internal SS flat stock across horizontally. I also extended the internal tabs to extend aft of the trailing edge to hang a self steering trim tab. 75 lbs lighter and probably 10x stronger.
Also rebalanced to reduce the helm

A couple of comparisons might be informative:
the difference in rudder performance I now question - the NACCA profile may not be as effective/ responsive and there is some literature that says that a simple plate actually works better - comments?
there may be an error in using stainless steel for internal reenforcements. SS anticorrosion properties depend on oxygen to form a protective barrier. My original rudder plate was heavily corroded with black hematite and I thought that it was actually carbon steel. I now realize that it wasn't . It may be better to use carbon steel and have it galvanized. I have quite a large milivoltage on my sacrificial zincs and can not retain a collar on my prop shaft for more than a month. The trim tab extensions where there were welds has corroded off. Comments?

I got this thread from looking for info on a newport 30. Can you tell me what the hull profile is? Spade and fin or full keel?

richard burgoyne
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome