SailNet Community - View Single Post - Dangers of LED navigation lights
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Dangers of LED navigation lights

"his lawyer wouldn't be doing their job without investigating your lights. If they were found to not be approved"
I'd hate to live in your state if they can do that. In my state, in most or all of the US, if someone told the court "Your honor, is lights weren't USCG certified" (and note, it is certification not approval that counts) all that would do is raise a presumption that they might be part of the cause. If there was no requirement for a certified light, that presumption could be thrown out as irrelevant.

And in every case, that presumption could be refuted by the simple process of testing the light itself, or another of the same light, and showing the court that the light may have been uncertified, but it met or exceeded the standards for compliance--since compliance, not certification, is what is required of pleasure boaters.

Really guys, if you're scared of lawsuits, just DO NOT own and operate dangerous machinery, like boats. Dump your boats, and cars, now. And make sure the sale contract ends your liability, just in case it sinks or explodes while the next guy owns it.

Lions and tigers and dragons oh my! No, really, that's just a salamander, and it can't fly or breath flames.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook