SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2013

Brent Swain is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

My clients are resourceful enough to avoid the extreme foolishness of buying the most expensive items they can find for everything on the boat. So your question is not only irrelevant, but insulting to them. Most buy a used main sail and hang it without doing anything to it, battens and all, then go sailing , getting around to a battenless mainsail later
All in mast furling mains have no roach and very few have battens, including your beloved Beneteaus .
Just met two more people wanting to build brentboats, in the last three days, both experienced, one very experienced in offshore voyaging. Just got a supper invite from one, after his viewing of this forum. Said we have a lot in common. Beautiful westerly is blowing that way. Sold a lot of books in the last few days .
What do all my critics in this debate have in common? Absolutely zero hands on experience in building, long term cruising in and maintaining a steel boat.
Steel boaters who read these posts, and don t oppose the disinformation of the critics, are passively allowing the resale value of their boats to be undermined by plastic boat salesmen ; again.
No problem for me, I'm retired ,and bought my gold in 1999 at under $300 an ounce.