Join Date: Sep 2013
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0
43' Irwin MKIII vs. Irwin 46' Ketch
I'm a first time boat buyer trying to compare two Irwin's for Live-Aboard and Cruising: 43' Irwin MKIII (1989) vs. Irwin 46' Ketch (1982)
Here are my questions:
1. Is there any significant difference in the quality of constriction between the 46 and the 43. I came across one forum where someone mentioned that the 46 is more of a "blue water" boat than the 43. (understanding that it is not a Blue Water boat, but perhaps a more solid boat)
2. Is there a significant different in the ability to single hand the 43 vs the 46? Or, if I were to get caught in rough weather, would one be easier to manage than the other?
3. Understanding there is only a 3 foot difference, while looking at slip rental fees, I noticed there is a $150 difference in prices between the two. In this case, boats over 44' see a large jump in price. Is this typical of what I will see as it applies to mooring/maintenance/repair, or would the overall difference be less dramatic?
4. Lets assume the overall quality and hand-ability of the 43 and 46 are similar... is the additional cost of ownership of the 46 worth the additional space and possible speed? (Understanding this is mostly personal preference)
5. Would one of these hold re-sale value better than the other?
Thanks in advance for any input!