SailNet Community - View Single Post - 43' Irwin MKIII vs. Irwin 46' Ketch
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013

TomandKarens34 is on a distinguished road
Re: 43' Irwin MKIII vs. Irwin 46' Ketch

Hi Nick. I'm not sure where to start without knowing a little bit about your expectations as well as your sailing skill level. Your questions are framed in a fashion that suggests you are new to this sailing thing. The boats you are looking are older cruising stock. Boats like these, unless unusually lightly used, need a ton of maintenance. Most of the systems, ( like the engine ) are nearing the end of their service life. If you are concerned about "parking" costs, this is only a minor factor in ownership of boats like these. Everything on a big boat and these are big boats, is enormously expensive. For example, a piece of standing rigging on my old 25 O'Day was $89. A new forestay on my Irwin 34 was $495. For these boats, it would be even more. Even if you get a survey on these boats you are looking at, there will be plenty of things that are missed. You could easily spend $15,000 to $50,000 after the sale price. Where do you want to sail ? Irwins are generally not considered blue water boats. That said, many have traveled far. Sailing is about developing a skill set. It is just as much about your judgment and preparation as it is about the capability of the boat. As another example, there are extraordinary street motorcycles for sale in dealerships across the country. An ordinary person can buy a motorcycle that has power and performance beyond what a formula 1 race bike had 35 years ago. Not one rider in 50 has the skills to exploit even one half of the potential of these machines. Of them, not one in 100 has access to a road where this might be done in safety. In this, one impediment is the skill set, the other is good judgment. Do you see how both are necessary to successful use of the bike's potential ? If you can't see what I mean, please view the " Creditcard Captains" on you tube. This is, indirectly, the answer to the single-handing question. Lastly, resale value. The boats you are looking at have lost their original value. They are close to worthless except for the careful maintenance that has been done to them. Some are Gems, who have been cared for without hesitation. The day that this devotion to their care lapses, is the start of their decline. Only you can define their residual value. It can be quite a bit but it will only be a fraction of what it has cost to maintain them. To translate that into English, they won't hold their resale value at all. In addition, the money you put in them will be a poor return, 50% or less, unless it's like a new motor. In that case it will help sell the boat and you might get 60% of the cost back. Hope this frames things up a bit for you.