SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ropeclimber intro
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013

ropeclimber is on a distinguished road
Ropeclimber intro

Hello all,

I think I did things backward and started a thread on Sailnet before I introduced myself. Sorry!

I guess a little background? I have always loved the idea of sailing but never really had exposure to it until my honeymoon back in 2000, when I begged my husband to take me on a sailing vacation. Neither of us had sailed before, so we chartered the Endless Summer II, a 72' yacht in the BVI for a week (with live aboard skipper and chef!). It was the most incredible week of my life and I have always looked back on it with a sense that we would return some day.

13 years later, we started getting the itch for a similar style vacation (this time with 2 kids!) so in March, my husband and I took a week-long live-aboard Learn-to-Sail course from Blue Water Sailing School on a 43' sloop in Ft. Lauderdale. We earned our basic keelboat, basic coastal cruising, and bareboat cruising certs.

It turns out that sailing was a lot more work than we remembered but I still love it. I do realize, however, that I need a LOT of practice.

So now I am practicing all the basics on a 19' Flying Scot that I rent locally. My plan is to join a sailing club in DC next season and learn all I can as a crew member. My husband's plan is to let me become the expert so he can enjoy our future return to BVI the way he did the first time around.

Thanks for offering such an informative site. I'm glad I found Sailnet.com
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook