SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Future of Boat Ownership
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013
Yamsailor

Yamsailor is on a distinguished road
The Future of Boat Ownership

I just read “The End of the Suburbs. Where the American Dream is Moving” by Leigh Gallagher, Assistant Managing Editor of Fortune Magazine.

The book is not about the end of the suburbs but the shifting pattern in housing. It concentrates on a lot of shifting trends in the US Home Real Estate market. A significant portion of the book discusses the Millenial Generation–their future economic opportunity, buying trends, their outlook on life. In short it is the description of this generations values and what guides their purchasing decisions. The millenial generation is a full 33% larger than the baby boom generation, yet at the sme time their ability to emjoy this sport is diminishing.

This books talks about the Millenial generation as not wanting to purchase cars, large homes, and other items that have been the backbone of the “American Dream” since the end of WW II. There is data to back this up and it is adjusted for the economic conditions we all have been experiencing. If this generation is not interested in owning large homes, and less interested in sharing cars, how is the boating industry going to get this genetration to be boat owners? In my opinion, this generation will share boats the way they want to share cars. I think the one-owner boat model is dieing for the majority of the boat-owning public.

I fear the participation in sailing is going to decrease over time.