SailNet Community - View Single Post - Starting a diesel that sat for 18 years.
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013

DrB will become famous soon enough
Awesome!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
Ahhhh, the sweet song of the diesel.She started the first time I pushed the start button on the maybe the second rev. She was spitting black for about 30 seconds. Probably all that fogging oil I sprayed in. Throttle works, she idles around 1000 rpm, seems high, more quiet than I thought it would be, engine kill linkage works too. One huge check mark done on the book of things to do.

I have the fuel return line going to a can to catch all the old fuel. None came out, in fact no fuel came out. I thought about 10 % was injected while 90% was returned to the tank.

I also learned I don't like bleeding the fuel lines or changing the oil. I think mechanical devices to do this are in my future. An electrically operated oil pump to suck the oil out of the sump and an inline electric fuel pump to charge the lines.

Thanks to all who suggested the proper course of action.
This is a true testament to the bulletproofness of Yanmar Diesels. Hard to screw them up as long as one does basic upkeep and maintenance. Love my 3GM30 motor.