SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Pivotal Point - Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrB View Post
As Minnewaska says, instead of the standard same course each day, mix it up. It would be cool to see a true downwind start, a triangle course, etc. I do like the shorter, multiple race/day format.
Yeah that would be cool.

They could do that in the NASCAR series too. This week they could go clockwise. Next week the other way. Maybe a figure 8 course could add some excitement. Maybe they could change the grid iron rule. Maybe have them play on a triangle with three teams. But only on dates with even numbers. Maybe for fun they can change Wimbledon to a square court.

Most sports have the same field/court/track/course for every game. The reason the nature of the AC course has changed (no windward starts, beam reach finish, etc) is because the boats that they are racing are not able to bob and weave the way others in history did. A collision of two yachts at 9 knots wouldn't even spill the beer. At closing speeds of potentially 75 knots, a collision will kill a whole lot of people. Even with only one boat involved in an accident, someone died.

If I recall the AC series I watched in 2003 in Auckland, the course was different only inasmuch as it moved from place to place in the Gulf but that that was not to make it different, it was so that the course could actually stay the same. It was changed so that they could still have a windward start, two beats and two runs which used to be classic AC.

AFAIK it has in modern times always been that way. Why would it want to change now?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke

Last edited by Omatako; 09-27-2013 at 12:22 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook