SailNet Community - View Single Post - AC 34 - What If?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013
Picnic Sailor

chall03 will become famous soon enough
Re: Pivotal Point - Going Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMC View Post
I have found the same thing. Just got off the phone with a colleague that has little to no interest in sailing and he was very excited about the race and had watched it on TV with his family. So, maybe, just maybe this will actually increase interest in sailing in the US. That would be just awesome.
Racing fleets have been in a huge decline over here in Oz. There is a huge crew recruitment drive on at my club.

Yet James Spithill was a youth development graduate of this club, one of our very own, and the vibe down here at Wednesday afternoon racing was just electric. I was actually only there to check the batteries on my boat, but i couldn't help it and I hopped on a boat and went racing.

I get the cynicism, the dust will settle and maybe very little will change. Then again maybe seeds have been sown.

The dock I walked down this morning with a trolley of biodegradable toilet paper and cleaning products is actually the one where a teenage Jimmy Spithill used to go out match racing on the club boats. It's also where a couple of Olympic gold medallists learn't to sail as well. It's a plain old looking dock on Sydney's northern beaches, no glory or glamour here, just seagull crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook