SailNet Community - View Single Post - Americas cup triple touch penalty to Kiwi's
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Americas cup triple touch penalty to Kiwi's

In racing, from what I understand, the rules are somewhat different and the term "right of way" still applies, possibly for simplicity's sake.
Collisions and forcing a boat to turn away because one has the right of way are not something that coincides with the collregs. It is a whole different ball of wax, because in racing no boat is obliged to avoid a collision; it's up to the race committee to decide who is at fault, not the USCG. These are not laws we are talking about, but rules for racing.
I must admit, I was shocked that the USCG did not stick their unwelcome nose into it, but I guess someone had the sense to rein them in. They did get involved after Mr. Simpson's death and forced the wind speed limitations, which the race committee had to abide by.
Had there not been a fatality before the races began, it may have been a much different series.