SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Future of Boat Ownership
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: The Future of Boat Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post

I do think this is the future...along with outfits like Sailtime. The cost of boats has just kept going up and up and up, with no end in sight. So like real estate where house sharing and airbnb came up, the future will have a significant amount of boatsharing.
I agree, I think Sailtime represents the direction boat 'ownership' will increasingly take in the foreseeable future... As many production builders have been building boats largely for charter service, they will continue to do so for time-sharing, and increasingly focus on accommodations and comfort for short stints aboard, and place less of a premium on things like storage for longer cruises, sufficient tankage for extended periods, and so on...

The other Wave of the Future? "Commuter Cruising", and increasing reliance on a service like Dockwise...

I know I'm a broken record on this subject, but in my observation cruising 'sailors' are sailing far less than they used to... Numerous reasons for that, but primarily it reflects a shift from cruising under sail as an ACTIVITY, to more of a LIFESTYLE... Many folks simply aren't really 'out there' for the SAILING anymore, but rather seem to be taking extended vacations aboard trawlers with masts :-)

The charter business will continue to boom, of course... The Annapolis Boat Show will be a reflection of that, with an astonishing percentage of the show's real estate now given over to the catamaran charter companies... It's no coincidence that the charter ads precede the brokerage section in the back of CRUISING WORLD, and have done so for quite some time...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook