SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Future of Boat Ownership
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: The Future of Boat Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post

I know I'm a broken record on this subject, but in my observation cruising 'sailors' are sailing far less than they used to...
And I'll sound like a broken record to say how incorrect the old timers memories are.

The cruising folk of yesteryear, say the 1960s and 70's who circumnavigated have a HUGE death rate per captia compared with today.

They died like flies out there.

These days with thousands doing long passages and hundreds doing circumnavigations every year there are precious few who die and those that do are the old timers who have never learned! People like Bountys boss and another, still too fresh to name in an old clunker off New Zealand.

That lots of folks are using Dockwise is not the be slagged off at but complimented! Those who are time poor to cross the Atlantic, or the time of year is wrong, or their experience level is not high enough are shoving their boats on a ship! GREAT!! thats a good thing, not a bad thing.

Newer people are smarter, more efficient and more knowledgeable. Plus they have more and better information at the touch of a few buttons.

Any of these 1970s books one reads, including the Pardy's, you wonder how they hell they survived. Many didn't! Read their books and they are a litany of other boats they heard disappear.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook