SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
Well, without crunching the numbers I'd say the rate of inflation is way off. Today's 30 footer also has more and more complicated systems.

But to stick with your analogy if the guy who bought that boat in 1975 was 25 he'd be 63 today and would have enjoyed a lifetime on the water. Had he waited he might have a chunk of money - assuming he didn't get screwed in one of the intervening Wall street debacles - but he literally would have missed out on a lifetime's worth of experiences.

What's the dollar value of that?

To me the boat is money well spent.
So were are on the same page - I totally agree with you, as long as the buyer enjoyed the boat, that was money well spent. Having a large bank account on your last day on the planet is not the measure of a life well spent. In fact it could be the direct opposite. personally, I agree with buying the boat. Believe me when i say, I've spent so much money on "stuff" i'm the last person to judge how others spend their money!

The point is non judgmental. It is only to point out that there is a lost opportunity cost when we chose to buy things like boats.

As for the math, it's dead on. Even with the Wall Street debacles. They've been accounted for.

Last edited by TJC45; 09-27-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook