SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got to Stop being Stupid
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Got to Stop being Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
So you re saying you were running before the wind , 4-5 ft seas with a genoa...
That is what I did. Remember, my genoa is only a 110. I actually started with a reefed main, but the following seas on my starboard quarter were turning the boat so much that uncontrolled gybes were unavoidable. (Note that I have swept-back spreaders which limit how far I can let out my boom, which also makes it more susceptible to unintentional gybes.) After a few of them I realized the main was causing more harm than good. I turned into the wind long enough to drop the mainsail and went on genoa alone, which worked fine as long as I corrected after each swell. I never came close to pitchpoling my bow, mainly because the waves were overtaking my boat instead of my boat overtaking the waves.

FWIW, I did the exact same thing on my charter boat last January running north of Tortola from Virgin Gorda to Jost Van Dyke. On that trip I passed three boats who were all experiencing unintentional gybes from the following wave action, and I was making better time with a smaller boat on genoa alone.

Where I was on Delaware Bay (east of G27 on Miah Maull Range), I did not have the option of changing course to keep the wind further abeam, because going further to port would have put me into the shipping channel or run aground on Joe Flogger Shoal, or further to starboard would have run aground on Cross Ledge. So I had to "thread the needle" on a course of 323T.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 09-28-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook