SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got to Stop being Stupid
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Re: Got to Stop being Stupid

Well for reiteration I had no sails up and really if you watch the video of ponce you would have a hard time with any sail raised with the short steef drops and more importantly the course I had to run to get back in safe. Sail up leaving and ive got to head east. Soon as i passed the jetty would have been broadside on so would have had to head upwind asap assuming I didnt get rolled first.
then sailing upwind id have to wait for a lull, like i did, and turn about. Without a preventer rigged gybes would be hard and fast not to mention the short period between waves. Chances are the rudder would get slammed far over and the next wave right behind would have caught me.

Assuimg i made it through those two courses now im south east of the inlet and i have to turn and head north west directly into the wind. So now i have to tack back and forth through breakers with no time between waves and shoals on the port with a rock jetty wall on the starboard... I really dont see sails helping much unless I was out deeper. Main only has one reef point fyi. I could not have went without both sails up.
if i had only the main I could not have sailed upwind back into the inlet. If i only had head I couldnt tack through the wind without stalling out and risking a broach.

It was just a stupid day to go out and i count my blessings i made it home safe with no damage done except to my pride.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook