SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got to Stop being Stupid
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Got to Stop being Stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborless View Post
I am a bit confused. Two weeks ago had great sail with winds out of north and 10 to 15 knot breeze. Now for fall and winter winds prevail from north so what am i to underdtand? No sailing until spring and a return of the southerly winds?
stream was 27 miles off ponce as of yesterday.

when is it cool to go in fall and winter with predominately northern winds?
More than likely that figure (27 miles) was for the axis of the stream. That's the center, not the extreme Fla edge. The stream can do very strange things after rounding Cape Canaveral; eddies and swirls, and these can interfere with the counter current normally found near shore. The stream is kinda like a magical mystery tour; I don't know if anybody understands all it's peculiarities.
As for heading south, outside, most folks I know try to sail with easterlies or westerlies, going inside on northerlies and winds from the south. If memory servers, there are few low bridges left in Fla so it could be a really nice sail under jib alone in the ditch.
As others have suggested, a roller furling jib would be a huge advantage for your single handing adventures; not having to go forward to set sail in an emergency, nor having to change to a smaller sail on the foredeck in crappy weather. Perhaps you could see it more as a safety thing, rather than selling out. We can bring out our Yankee in about 90 seconds and be sailing; no going forward, no sail ties and only as much out as we need.
Just a thought.