SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat Monitor R (iPhone/iPad app)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
lemme see if i have this right. you set this alarm when you are on the boat to warn you when the electronic device thinks you are dragging anchor. is that true?
or is it that you use it when you go to mayan ruins or out to dinner , or out to a wake or funeral or opera or carnival or merely to the grocery store?????
just trying to get this straight.
There is no substitute for properly setting your anchor and maintaining good watch. However, these apps clearly improve your odds. You have to sleep and you have to be out of sight eventually. For most of us, there is no cell coverage problem. If you're out of range, your only out of luck with shoreside communication. It will still wake you between evening watches, if you drag or if you want to be alerted that you have swung around. We've all gone to sleep on a blustery night that predicted a hard swing. We set a watch schedule to be sure we get up to confirm the anchor has reset. This device will alert you the moment you've swung and not rely on a schedule.

As for being ashore, one feature I love is being able to access the Ipad that I left aboard with my iPhone in my pocket. It will show me precisely where my boat is on a satellite image, along with a persistence line that shows where the boat has been swinging or dragging. Even if it has not gotten in trouble yet, I can see if she has swung around or is beginning to drag. That is an incredible relief. I suppose it will also tell you if someone stole the boat, or at least the iPad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook