SailNet Community - View Single Post - Got to Stop being Stupid
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: Got to Stop being Stupid

Instead of a preventer, perhaps consider a boom brake of some sort. With a brake that at least slows down the damage that can be done by an unintentional jibe, you'll be less hesitant to use the main. With a brake, you also have less worry about burying the end of the boom and bending it. Setting up a preventer when going long distances in regular sea conditions is a lot different than trying to set one in breaking, changing, confused seas such as around an inlet.

With the main up, it wouldn't have been necessary to actually beat back against the wind. Having it reefed and close hauled with the boom centered would have provided some stability even if luffing a bit. I will often keep my main up even if motoring against the wind. If the sail can be kept full even a little, it makes the ride more stable. Of course if you're absolutely dead into wind, all it does is luff and beat the heck out of the sailcloth.