post #20 of Old 09-28-2013
bobmcgov
baDumbumbum

Re: Help me find a boat for next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Yankee 30
Albin Ballad

There is a nice one of these with a repower that has been for sale on my dock for a long time. You could probably get it for a song at this point. Smallish interior, strongly built, no liner which is good in a lot of ways.
Yeah -- gutting one to the bare hull takes a couple hours with a screwdriver. Why you would need to do so is a discussion unto itself.

tank1

Not sure it fits the OP's criteria, tho. Certainly an attractive boat, coastal w/ offshore ability, and available at bargain prices. But it is a small 30'er, very small. 5'10" headroom, teensy head, cramped berths, and little light or ventilation. It ain't a Hunter. And as for freeboard ... not a feature. It belongs to the 'submarine with sails' design philosophy:

Upwind monster; you will get wet. Ballads came with Volvo Pentas, not a beloved powerplant. The Ranger 33, BTW, generally had the A4. Some have been repowered. These will cost more.

Hard to go too wrong with a Catalina 30, either. They are roomy and well-behaved. J/boats made a few in this range, and Islander.

Buccaneer18, Grainnia
SJ21, Diarmuid
Albin Ballad 30, Fionn
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome