SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you buy an early 80's cored hull boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013

boatpoker is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you buy an early 80's cored hull boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Good thing most don't use it improperly like you. Dont be such an authority. Give me a break.
Topside - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

You have had this same issue in the past of your postings concerning C&C coring and you still have your blinders on I see

Which C&C sailboats have balsa cored hull?

While its great to use brochures to educate yourself I find first hand information to be more reliable. There are many C&C built with hulls which were cored. There also were many which were not. Trust me as I have put thru hulls in mine as well as understand its makeup. Mine is not cored completely. In certain areas but not throughout. the areas it is cored there is well over 3/4 inch of laminate on each side of the balsa end grain. well overbuilt id say. And only in some areas like the deck, coach roof etc. is it thinner, maybe 1/2 inch on either side. Many of the areas like the chain plate and where attachment points for winches were solid fiberglass well over an inch thick.

The issue is not whether they used fiberberglass or coring but how was it laid and if it has been penetrated by attachments/ bolts etc, was the area " handled" correctly. Since the topsides have many more penetratns thats where you find any problems, as the hulls have very few penetrations, and as i stated many of them are aolid glass areas.

You'd be hard pressed to find boats of today use the amount of fiberglass that the older C&Cs used. Their build quality at the time was unquestionably top notch.

It's great you have talked to Cuthbertson and know him. I too have. Especially about this issue.

One month ago I drilled out a three quarter inch hole just below the deck/ hull flange attachment for a second vent for our holding tank as the original was only 3/8 inch and didn't aerate it enough. Solid fiberglass plug in the hole saw over 1 inch thick.

What is most I important to me is the hull integrity and how it was maintained. A well maintained boat is what you should look for. I have seen many other cored hulls in great condition I wouldn't have any problem recommending. I also have seen many solid hulls I would run away from due to lack of maintainence.
No need to be so touchy Dave but I suggest you consult a maritime dictionary for a definition of "topside" as it applies to boats. If I may duggest one, how about Admiral W.H.Smyth's "The Sailors Word Book".

As to you mkIII having a balsa cored hull, well I guess George Cuthbertson must be wrong if you say so.