SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you buy an early 80's cored hull boat?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Would you buy an early 80's cored hull boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No need to be so touchy Dave but I suggest you consult a maritime dictionary for a definition of "topside" as it applies to boats. If I may duggest one, how about Admiral W.H.Smyth's "The Sailors Word Book".

As to you mkIII having a balsa cored hull, well I guess George Cuthbertson must be wrong if you say so.
No ones being touchy my friend. It was your presumptuous post of grammatical superiority about the word topsides. I guess you haven't progressed to using Websters Dictionary yet.
Quote:
PS. I find the word topside confusing as most use it improperly. The "topside" is the area between the water line and the toe rail, is this what you meant ? Boatpoker
As far as Cuthbertsons statement you perhaps have taken it out of context. I have met and spoken with him a few times over the course of my C&C ownership at rondevous and such and he explained the use of the balsa in stiffening the hull, and also indicated that if properly maintained should present no serious problems or issues. He never once found or stated that is was an inherent weakness of the boat or.hull, and in fact stated that the way C&C did the process improved the boat. He also stated how they purposely overbuilt it, and did not use less fiberglass thickness than the previous MKI which was a SOLID laminate hull.

I pretty much explained about the hull on our C&C 35 MKIii as did others in the previous Sailnet thread where other actiual C&C owners identified misstatements of yours. If you read it carefully, many models previously to the newer ones
were solid hulls. That's a fact that others who own the boats posted. Our 35 MKIII models hull is not entirely cored and where it is it has 3/4 inch laminate on either side of the core. As previously stayed, way overbuilt compared to the Js 4 mm. Since there are very few penetrations into the core on the hull, mainly thru hulls, if properly maintained there should be no issues. In my MKIII where the factory thru hulls were placed, there was a large area surrounding them where the core was hollowed out replaced by fiberglass.

As stated by other. C&C owners in the previous quoted thread which you obviously skipped over or discounted as it didn't fit into your opinion, most issues concerning the balsa core have appeared TOPSIDES on the deck or coach house. As stated by these same owners very few if any have seen issues with the C&C hull coring which was done to lighten the boats as well as stiffen them for competitiveness in performance.

Hopefully this clears this up for others who are looking to buy older C&C boats. I find while true owners love the boats thy bought, the also are willing and know enough about their boats to discuss heir inherent weaknesses and are willing to do so. Almost all of us have discounted your statements about the cored hull weakness of C&C myth.

So who do you listen to...a powerboatsers reading brochures.......or C&C owners who have posted in this or the other imbedded threads.

Just saying

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook