SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing from California to Florida via the Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakPase View Post
Not the same trip at all, California to Costa Rica is muy facil if you watch the weather. The only tricky part is timing your T-pec and the Popagayo winds. I think the real challenge comes when you turn north into the golf of Panama because that will be the first fight against weather.
strange how zihuat to costa rica isnt the same trip as cali to panama--it is but a smallbit of the trip.
i have been doing this trip now for 3 years--'it actually IS the same trip,only in longer stopover segments. the same charts are used''it is just that everyone has a different tale to tell abou tthe same body of water travelled in the same routing.
i have seen manyh souls doint his trip''it is the same trip, and all have enjoyed it an d had no problem.
the only problems that come up happen when the atlantic folks tell the pacific folks how to do it and that it cannot be done.
it is not that difficult a trip.
there are gorgeous places to stop over and rest and provision and pemex has same pricing thruout mexico. weather is predictable and with enough warning to keep you out of mayhem.
it is a lee shore, so plan accordingly.
there are cocodrilos, so dont swim after a rain.
the cruising guides published by sarana show the seasons of papagayos and tehuanbtepec winds.
seas are well spaced and not so horrid as same sized seas on atlantic coast. gentle rollers do not make a bad sail.
did i say most of it is downhill, current and windwise. and you wont die if you decide to just drift, nor will you get totally lost.
you may find self closer to shore, but you wont go to china without conscious effort. the currents here just do not go that way.
learn the currrents and learn wind direction and how to tell when you are going to get blown away. we have either no wind or too much.
it is a fun sail. that is why i am doing this here for so long...well,one reason.
this is a voyage that will take from 5 weeks to any number of years, depending on stopovers and motivation.

i would not count on 5 weeks however for this journey. friends did that in a trimaran 5 yrs ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by zeehag; 09-29-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook