SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat?

23K views 123 replies 46 participants last post by  ltgoshen 
#1 ·
Watch this video...he has some great advice...

Why buy a brand new sailboat costing bank and having a monthly payment of like $1,500 spread over 20 years not including insurance, slip fees, maintence, hulling out, etc? You won't be able to enjoy the boat really at all because you'll be working 24-7 just to pay it off. Why not just buy a way way cheaper boat 20, 30, 40 years old and just put some work into it. At least that way you'll have the time to enjoy it!

#87 ·
#98 ·
I doubt he would if he wasn't in politics - it costs a lot more to have it registered in the States. None of those people are much interested in paying their share of taxes.

#100 ·
One of the things that is required from the Jones Act is all American flagged (commercial) vessels must be manned by union crews. That goes all the way down to maids, busboys and dishwashers. That is why you do not see very many US flagged cruise ships and large mega yachts that sport a large contingent of “domestic” help. Makes no sense for a yacht that is used on an occasional basis to have a full time union crew.

#105 ·
One of the things that is required from the Jones Act is all American flagged (commercial) vessels must be manned by union crews. That goes all the way down to maids, busboys and dishwashers. That is why you do not see very many US flagged cruise ships and large mega yachts that sport a large contingent of "domestic" help. Makes no sense for a yacht that is used on an occasional basis to have a full time union crew.
The operative word there is "commercial". The Jones act does not apply to private yachts, no matter how big the staff. If they are chartered for profit that may change, probably depending on how the charter was structured..

#103 ·
A few quotes from notable people:
'My goal wasn't to make a ton of money. It was to build good computers.'
Steve Wozniak

"When I was 19, I made my first good week's pay as a club musician. It was enough money for me to quit my job at the factory and still pay the rent and buy some food. I freaked."
Billy Joel

"Business is a good game - lots of competition and a minimum of rules. You keep score with money."
Atari founder Nolan Bushnell

#109 ·
Mitt Romney at a private fundraiser last month at the house of Papa John's founder John Schnatter:

What a welcome, what a place this is. My goodness. Who would have imagined pizza could build this, you know that? This is really something. Don’t you love this country? What a home this is, what grounds these are, the pool, the golf course. You know if a Democrat were here he’d look around and say no one should live like this, you know? Republicans come here and say everyone should live like this, all right. This is a real tribute to America, to entrepreneurship.

#110 ·
I guess when everyone in America has their own golf course (is there even enough land for that?) they can just have all the work, groundskeeping etc. done by illegal aliens.

No, wait....... They've all been deported back home in this Republican paradise.

Damn, how are we going to get the grass cut?

Maybe if we bake a few cakes for them to eat.....

#111 · (Edited)
Yup, that does blow a pretty big hole in his Theory of Self-Deportation, alright..

Simple solution - re-training for furloughed Federal workers as landscapers, Win/Win all around... :)

One of the more sobering pictures painted in the book I mentioned earlier - GRAND AMBITION, about the building of the megayacht LADY LINDA - was one where Von Allmen and one of the head guys at Trinity were whining about illegal immigration, and how it would be the downfall of America...

Completely lost on them, was the fact that the most hellish, hazardous work to be done during the construction of such yachts, was the final fairing of the hull and superstructure, a job that involves the repeated application and sanding of highly toxic fairing compounds...

The sort of job that at Trinity, pretty much was being done exclusively by undocumented immigrant workers from Central America...

#113 ·
I see your point - the idiocy of that situation and statement IS really self evident isn't it?

#115 · (Edited)
Penske's an interesting guy. Built an automotive empire. Like many didn't start on the bottom wrung to get that done. But you can't argue with results! he definately took the ball and ran with it! And unlike other rich kid success stories, at least he doesn't a TV show where he fires people.

More recently, Roger has adopted the spirit of the Shine runners where bending a rule or two is the way it's done. He was caught up in his own NASCAR scandal at Richmond. While relative to what happened at Waltrip racing during the same race it could be called scandal lite, fixing a race is still fixing a race. And, ethically it is what it is.

Radio traffic indicates that Penske, on the roof of the grandstand with the spotters at Richmond, cut a deal with Front Row motorsports to allow his driver to get ahead of Front Row's driver. Shortly after the back and forth radio communication took place Front Row's driver slowed down allowing Penske's driver to overtake him. Something he'd been unable to do previously. The payoff would be future tech support to Front Row. Something Front Row had sought from Penske in the past.

Penske defends himself by saying there was no direct radio communications between himself and Front Row's crew chief. Yet, the driver of Front Row's car could hear all the traffic between his spotter and his crew chief where the crew chief is confirming that the deal is being proffered by Penske himself. The spotter saying "The captain is standing right here next to me." Once confirmed, Front Row's car suddenly got slower. Penske's car just had to keep on doing what it had been doing. it finished in front of Front Row's car.

Gee, a fixed race in NASCAR? Who'd a thunk it? NASCAR didn't buy Penske's claim of innocence and sanctioned both teams. Penske being the billionaire he is didn't get the book thrown at him as did Michael Waltrip, Michael Waltrip Racing, who did pretty much the same thing.

I guess the upshot is it's good that he really does get NASCAR where cheating is an accepted part of the program.( accepted by the teams, not the officials) After-all they started as outlaws! Penske got rich by understanding how the game is played!

#116 ·
Penske was born pretty middle class, maybe upper middle. Certainly not a silver spoon type like Trump.

I'm surprised that he would cheat that blatantly. Of course there are degrees of what could be called cheating - back in the Trans Am days when Donohue drove for him he came up with the famous "unobtanium" line when asked what some of his Camaro parts were made of.

Like Smokey Yunick famously said "If the rules don't say I can't do it, I have to assume I CAN".

That said, the incident you describe sounds just plain sleazy.

Disappointing.

Reactions: TJC45
#117 · (Edited)
I won't take anything away from Roger's business building career. They guy came an extraordinary distance. He coulda quit building after he bought his first Chevy dealership and lived a very comfortable life. But that was only a next step in mega building.

How much of a leg up did he get? As a teenager he was fixing and flipping race cars. Not something that can be done on paper route money. And in his 20s bought his first car dealership. Car dealerships cost a lot more today, but relatively speaking not something most 20 somethings could swing back then. Still, it was his vision and his drive ( no pun intended) that built a billion dollar empire. That and Penske Blue! Which, IMO, is still the best color for a Corvette!

As for the scandal - yeah that's disapppointing. In times past, jockeys and horse owners have gone to jail or worse for doing the same thing. But, if you take it in context of the sport, within NASCAR there is almost bragging rights about who can break the rules and not get caught.

#118 ·
Penske Blue! Which, IMO, is still the best color for a Corvette!
Especially with yellow wheels. :cool:

As for the scandal - yeah that's disappointing. In times past, jockeys and horse owners have gone to jail or worse for doing the same thing. But, if you take it in context of the sport, within NASCAR there is almost bragging rights about who can break the rules and not get caught.
If there was the same kind of betting on NASCAR as horse racing they probably WOULD have gone to jail.

Reactions: TJC45
#119 ·
..... and so a thread " Why buy a brand new $150,000 sailboat? " looks destined for PRWG. Now does that realy make any sense at all ?

Please people ... leave the politics for Off Topic. The other thread is about to be moved (or may already have been moved) and so will this one if need be.

Once upon a time one of my fellow mods took a mixed up thread ike this one and moved the political posts to Off Topic. For this he was publicly castigated and has vowed not to go through that again. Smart fellow.

Ergo, if the OT stuff continues this thread will go PRWG holus bolus.

#121 ·
Thanks to those that buy new boats. This way others can have nice used boats. I don't begrudge anyone for buying a new boat; in fact i envy them at times. When i win the power ball i'll get my custom boat.

Sometimes it makes sense. I met a couple from NYC in a new 57 footer ($840k). They did the math. A new house in NYC, $800k; taxes $25k(or more). It was about the same to live on a new boat on the water! Of course it didn't hurt that they had some money as well.

#124 ·
Everything is relative to our own expenses. If I were a rich man I would have the best equipment available. But I am not a rich man so I got the best I could. C&C30 MK1 built in 1981 I had to put an engine in her and a bunch of other work. Mostly time but money too. But I have sailed her 27 times now in 19 months. No one in my marina takes there boat out as much as I do. No one spends as much time with their boats as I do with mine. I am in love with the whole process.
I got her on the cheap at first. But she was not free buy any means. In this process I have learned her' every nook and cranny. I know the power she has now. I installed the engine myself. I know how hard it is to get the shift linkage set right. I know the stuffing box well. The cutlass bearing was rebuilt. It's a labor of love. I would never know a new boat as I know this boat. My love affair has a flavor that is real. Not like something you would ever fine "buying new".
We have had a chance to fall in love. I know her and she knows me. She and I will be together for life.
To each his own "NEW/USED" for me it's a no brainer...
See ya on the water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.