SailNet Community - View Single Post - Useful Stuff--Finger Nail Polish Bottles
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Useful Stuff--Finger Nail Polish Bottles

My (much) better half is an inveterate Nail Polish buyer and can't seem to resist trying new bottles of the stuff, the majority of which end up piling up in her lavatory drawer until she runs out of room and discards them so she can begin another collection. The other day another batch ended up in the trash and it occurred to me that I could put several to good use.

We have basically four kinds of finishes on the boat, Cetol Natural Teak, Cetol Gloss, and Helmsman Spar Varnish in both gloss and semi-gloss, all of which occasionally suffer dings and scratches that need minor repairs. Accordingly, I liberated five of her discarded bottles, cleaned them and the little brushes attached to the caps with brush cleaner and filled them with a small amount of each of the finishes and one with brush cleaner, perhaps an ounce of so per bottle, labeled each and added them to the tool box we keep aboard the boat which already contains some bits of 320 grit sand-paper. With these, and the small brushes in the bottles, I can easily touch-up minor damages that would otherwise languish until I dragged out the various cans of materials needed and went through a repair routine. I thought others might be interested.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook