SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

A few random thoughts on your last couple of emails:

Furler lines run inside the deck: Sounds like a major hassle to debug and handle when things go wrong. They rarely go wrong when you want them to.

Pearson (85+) dampness: The toe rail will show up as damp with a moisture meter, but there is no wood core there to get damp, the side of the deck and hull are solid fiberglass. The moisture is from dirt getting into the hollow under the teak toe rail, the hollow is there to clear the deck/hull join screws. The mud and dirt that lives under there can at worse rot out the teak rail.

The stanchions on my 1986 Pearson were better bedded (with counterboring) than they are on most boats. They do use rubber gaskets that look like a terrible idea, but there was plenty of bedding compound besides those. I don't know for sure that they were never rebedded on my boat, but there is no evidence of it.

If you are measuring half feet you should call the Pearson 33-2 a 32.5 boat. 3' is still a big difference.

Quoting this one: "They are a little higher priced than I want, but everything is negotiable (I never would pay asking price, who would!)"

I've paid asking price on one boat that was listed for a very fair price, and have sold one boat at asking price because the buyer thought it was a very fair price.