SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013

Robcooper0767 is on a distinguished road
Re: Tartan(s), Sabre, Pearson(s), C&C(s), Catalina(s) - "Chesapeake Draft"

Alex,
Again, you have given me good info, especially since I do have a preference for Pearson's. The one boat in question had the moisture meter "almost pegged" to the right side of the meter for that full 8-10 (and sometimes 12") out from the edge. The broker seemed to be pretty on the level, and said the boat had acknowledged moisture issues, but "you could probably get 10 years out of it before you had to replace the core/face delamination".. I did ask the guy who re-Awlgripped my P-30 and is a certified repair guy, and he said, "don't even think about it"......so that, and the rest of the info, lead me to start asking the more specific questions of "how bad is bad"......or "what is "bad"". That boat was otherwise really well cared for and owned by the same couple (70's/80's) who are retiring from sailing due to age. but the deck issue was the finality on that specific boat.

All, I guess my pricing erspective was influenced by a conversation I had with Bill Shaw, Jr (yes, his son) about 1 1/2 months ago. He is a broker out of Rhode Island and my understanding of his boat offer comment was 30% of asking price is a good starting point (40% if you want), and many boats will sell for that, especially in this economy......I don't want to have Bill get any backlash, but that's what I noted he said......of course, it can also be personal situation dependent too..
So, I'm thinking I can get a nice boat, that's listed in the 30's for in the 20's, but maybe I'm just dreamin' and it's not that way at all. So, that's why I'm asking so many price questions.
Acknowledged: Condition, equipment, all good points.

Question: Never have owned a diesel. Overall, What is considered low, medium, and high hours? A 33-2 in Mystic (sold) had, no kidding 11,320 hours, and they lowered the asking price about $3,500 for a rebuild, but said the engine ran excellent.
I know diesels can keep going "forever", but where does the knee in the curve start for "high", generally speaking.
Also read motor mounts on 33-2 can go bad and need replacement, any gouge on how to know about that?
Passeggiata - Pearson 30, #644
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook