SailNet Community - View Single Post - Attaching Genoa Sheets
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Attaching Genoa Sheets

Let me start by saying that I really don't want snap shackles flying about striking me and everything else. I currently attach the clew with a larks head or 2 bowlines. But I have a new problem.

I will be adding an inboard track, and in order to sheet the sail to the new track I have to switch sheets; there is a shroud in the way of any simple barber hauling trick. The existing sheeting location is outside the rail, outside the shroud, and I want to move it inside. The current sheeting angle is about 24 degrees and I want to narrow it to 16 degrees, a reasonable figure for this boat that I have tested. Why is the angle so wide? The boat was designed for a small self-tacking jib. Because of the cabin configuration (very wide) there is no place forward of the shroud to place a track, so the genoa is used more as a reacher, sheeted where a chute might be. However, it is cut as a genoa and it works nicely hauled into that position, but I need to make it more convenient; cross hauls in the cockpit are a drag.

(The set-up in the picture is just for the picture. There will be a track and a snatch block, roughly where the tape and rescue pulley are located, perhaps further back between the winches. I will also add a second slider on the outboard track.)

I'm going to add an inboard track and use the spinnaker sheet on the inside track. However, if I want to tack with this arrangement in use I must...
* remove the main sheet from the 2nd winch and place in stopper
* place the original sheet on the 2nd winch and tension some
* ease the spin sheet
* tension the 2nd winch
* remove the spin sheet from the clew
* tack through 120 degrees
* repeat everything just listed

I would really like to be able to take the original genoa sheet off when tacking up wind, so that tacking is normal, using the inner track on both sides and leaving the original sheet alone. But what to use for shackles?

* Soft shackles? Will they stay on? Are they suitable for use on the spinnaker clew as well? I'm no racer, so if they take a few moments that is fine. Taking down the chute on a cat is casual, so quick release is not needed for that either.
* Some other shackle?

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pdqaltair; 09-30-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook