SailNet Community - View Single Post - traditional navigators
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: traditional navigators

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.odyssey View Post
Does anyone know of an island or group of islands in the Caribbean where mariners sail offshore, either fishing or coasting, without modern navigational equipment; ie, with nothing more than compass, basically? I know fishermen in Tobago and Haiti sail with only compass, but they don't go far. I've heard rumors about Carriacou but can't find info. I think the old Caribbean schooners are all gone. Any help appreciated (this is for a book on navigation). Thanks!
Traditional "Island Navigation" was never very much practiced in the Caribbean, simply because the distances between islands are too limited (99% of the time one can see one's destination from one point of departure). For a better sense of the subject, you might look up a copy of David Lewis's book "We The Navigators" which deals with traditional inter-island navigation skills in the Pacific. You might also try doing you research in a good Library rather than on Google. You might find it more rewarding albeit a bit more demanding on your part.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook