SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tacking Asymmetric Spin
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Tacking Asymmetric Spin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghubbell View Post
Has anyone successfully come up with a strategy for tacking (NOT jibing) an asymmetric spinnaker forward of fore stay? I don't have a symmetric spinnaker, and this was the only sail in my inventory that was able to move the boat in the light winds of my last race.

I tried a bunch of different things, each one ending in antics worthy of a viral YouTube video. My rigging is an ATN tacker, tack line, two sheets, and halyard hoisted from spinnaker crane in front of fore stay. I have no sock, and no furling for it. I do have a traditional spinnaker pole, but was not using it as I thought the ATN tacker would be better. In fact, it worked GREAT during the launch, and while sailing (adjusting luff tension).

Yes, this is unconventional - I know my equipment choice was flawed, but I'm still wondering how a true sailing Jedi might have made my gear constraints work.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Considering that one can rarely carry an asymmetrical closer than about 60º to the wind, I can't imagine anyone going through the brain damage of trying to tack the thing when an inside gybe, easily executed with a little practice, is a relatively painless and simple evolution without sacrificing boat speed or control, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook