SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013

davisr is on a distinguished road
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

This is the genoa track on our CS-36T as photographed at year 31. The track is still bedded with the original butyl tape she left the factory with in 1979. The track, 31 years later, is still BONE DRY, does not leak and has not leaked in 31 years and 50,000+ nautical miles. We run a 150 genny most of the year, just as the previous owner did so this track sees some heavy loads.

I've seen some less than 4 year old boats bedded with Satan's Glue or its relatives dripping wet with rust stained bolts and wet core at year four and sometimes earlier.

This genny track was installed without countersinking the holes. Just an aluminum genoa track bedded with butyl tape in 1979. Bevel the holes and it will probably go 70 years without a leak..

Maine,

Thanks for your helpful advice here and elsewhere. I plan to order some of your butyl soon, before I begin to reinstall my deck hardware. I will pot all holes with epoxy and countersink before applying the butyl.

One question about your experience with the genny track on your own boat. You've had great success at keeping the water out, even though the holes were not countersunk (and evidently not potted with epoxy). Good butyl alone has done the job. The genny track on my boat, at some point before I owned it, allowed water to enter at several points. The evidence for this is that several of the screws are rusty below deck. The amount of water must have been minimal, because there is no evidence of core rot anywhere. The genny track is the only piece of hardware that I've not removed, but I think it would be smart to go ahead and remove it and rebed it with butyl. The only thing is this - I really want to avoid having to pot every single one of the blasted holes beneath the genny track. The hardware for this track is overkill to the max. There are 40 screws (in double rows on each side of the boat). Thus there are 80 total holes that I would have to pot. Do you know of anyone in my situation who's been able to get away with rebedding the genny track with your good butyl alone?

Thanks for any advice in this,
Roscoe

Ericson 25, #226, Oystercatcher
Charleston, SC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook