SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to report AIS violations?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

cupper3 is on a distinguished road
Re: How to report AIS violations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I've often marveled about how the most trivial issues seem to turn into major debates up here. But I never thought that the idea of recreational sailboats giving way to an 11,000 tonne freighter would be debatable. This has to be a new record!
COLREGS are not trivial. There are parts of the world (England) that will fine you if you are not following them and that 11,000 tonne freighter reports you because you caused him or another ship to alter course because you did not do what was expected.

As I wrote earlier, if your altering course impacts other traffic who thought you would follow COLREGS correctly, and they then have to alter course as a result, you may well hear a lot of resentment on the VHF.

If the area is a channel which the vessels are restricted by draught or in a narrow channel and you are less than 20 meters, then of course they are stand on. However, Rule 9 does not negate Rule 13, overtaking.

Why are people happy to accept science which makes their life easier while rejecting science that makes their faith or beliefs more difficult?

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook