SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

olianta is on a distinguished road
Re: Interesting Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Rumen, keep us posted about that please and tell us why the boat seems not to have a traveler.

Oluf used to do that on less sportive boats (Luffe 43DS) but this seems to be a sportive boat.

Regards

Paulo
Last weekend I was in Kolding again testing the new Luffe 3.6 and also the older but improved model Luffe 37.09. On Saturday, though sunny there wasn't enough wind but nevertheless it was worth to see how both boats slippery hulls made speed in winds less than 5 knots. I think the 37.09 pointed better but in my opinion this was because the Genoa on the 3.6 was sled tacking, while the 37 did have a conventional one. On Sunday there was fresh wind and I have been again on the 3.6 this time a guest while the test sailor was a Danish family with two young kids. The first thing that impressed was that leaving and docking was an exercise with all those ropes on the piles since the fresh wind gusting to 25-26 knots was coming form abeam and the slip was awkward.But Oluf and the other guy managed to tame the boat which did have a lot of wind age with the high freeboards. Going upwind in apparent between 30- nod 40 degrees and 22-28 knots caused a significant heel but the boat was very stable. A cute thing is the angled floors at aft part of the cockpit where I could stay standing on the leeward side conveniently. Neither the main, not the genoa were reefer and tacking with a self tacking jib is a piece of cake of cake. The traveller us a very short one may be 50 cm between the benches and I do not think it makes a lot of job. Upwind we were making appr. 7 knots in flat water, while almost dead downwind under mainsail alone we were doing 6 knots. Unfortunately in the Kolding fjord there are no waves and you cannot see the full picture. I thin this boat is not meant to be a racer, but a performer cruiser aimed at families with children who want to switch form the 37 to 3.6 for more space. At least that was what the Danish family was looking for.

Rumen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook