SailNet Community - View Single Post - How to report AIS violations?
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

Coquina is on a distinguished road
Re: How to report AIS violations?

I *am* frequently the stand-on vessel when encountering large ships NOT in the Bay. This may be an area not experienced by many who sail mostly in their local area. It is VERY confusing to the ship if I start doing random stuff when they expect me by the COLREGS to keep going. I will call them on the VHF and ask what their plans are. If I can't raise them we assume no one is on the bridge. Then we revert to "Monty Python" colregs, i.e RUN AWAY RUN AWAY!

This is entirely logical. A power boat, even a 900 foot long one, can change course out in the ocean to avoid one sailing vessel. This same ship in the Bay cannot do so without either running aground or hitting some OTHER sailboat. A small fleet of sailboats could effectively bring shipping to a halt in a confined area. In the ocean - not so much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Coquina; 10-01-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook