SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013
dipping my toes in water

captmayhem is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Mayhem...if you are handy enough to make the repairs, why not just make new pieces? I would think it would easily qualify as a "low buck" project and the outcome would be new instead of "fixed".
couple of reasons:
First, why? the wood can be repaired, there's no need for me to add to the decline in quality hardwoods.
Which brings me to quality, the teak I'd find these days, unless I want to pay a premium, really is not very good. This wood, whilst old and grungy, has many years left in it, and has such nice grain, I'd not want to replace it with some bland teak that I'd pay through the nose for.
Time was another factor, even if I had some 2x2 Teak, it would take a while to plane down and set up the dado to make, then, I'd still have to finish them and drill holes etc.
If this was a newer boat I might have gone that route, but she is 34 and is our first boat. The idea was not to put in "too" much until we know if sailing is for all the family and not just me,lol.

I'll upload some pics when I get back later this week, but I repaired the fracture and replaced the broken piece, sanded and gave three coats of west/207 clear.
This week I will wet sand and spar varnish, then it's back on the boat.
Kind of racing against mother nature right now, very happy to be in the warm still, but that won't last and I still have the chain plates to seal up before I cover for winter......
It's all just time, not a lot of money
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook