SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Premier 45

I had already talked about this design by Botin and Carkeek with exterior Styling by Harry Miesbauerand and Interior design concept by Snohetta. It was for me the wow boat of the last Dusseldorf boat show, the one that put me dreaming: if I was a rich man..

The boat is not as naked as a Pogo (I could live with this one) I would say Zen style and the specifications looked perfect to me: The boat is average in what regards beam ( 4.15m) -for instance a much smaller Hanse 415 has 4.17m - but is hugely stiff, with 41% of B/D, considering a draft of 2.75m and a high profile torpedo keel. The draft is not a problem because the keel lifts in only 20 seconds to a very convenient cruising draft of 1.85m.

The boat is made with high tech materials and weights only 8000kg and that means that it does not need a big sail area to go very fast, in fact the boat has an upwind sail area similar to my boat (Comet 41) but can carry downwind an huge sail area: 260m2

The Premier 45 was tested recently by Yacht de and I was not surprised with their very flattering comments...it just confirms that Wow impression on Dusseldorf. They said:

"Elaborately built like a racer, comfortably equipped as a cruiser: The Premier 45 ideally combines the best of both worlds....she sails gorgeous, fast, agile and problem-free with a performance that is easy to access. This makes it a unique design both outside and inside...

The boat has been nominated for the election of European Yacht of the Year and is currently being sailed by the international jury at Southampton."

Premier 45: Charakter und Leistungsbereitschaft - Service*|*YACHT.DE

Marcelino Botin one of the designers comments on the boat:

“We are expecting the Premier 45 to be fast. It is quite a light boat with a hull based on the TP52 concept, with a wide, powerful stern section, but with high stability. But it is a cruiser, very fast for her size. In terms of performance she should excel both upwind and downwind. Upwind you have a good deep keel and plenty of sail area, and downwind she will fly. We expect her to be faster than the typical competition by a big amount.

” And for us as designers, it is great to have a high tech composite cruiser built in the very controlled environment that Premier has. It ensures that the boat comes out close to the design weight, and hence to the performance we expect.”
“There are a lot of owners who are looking for this type of boat, a smaller Wally-type yacht with a very minimalist, clean approach.”

Premier 45, the ultimate performance cruiser | JEC Composites

You can see more pictures here:

Botin Partners

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook