SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To versus Bare Poles
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To versus Bare Poles

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnshasteen View Post
Spot on SailingDog!! If you get hit solidly by a breaking wave onto the top of your boat - think in terms of around 500 or so gallons of seawater at about 8 pounds per gallon, it's like dropping a Buick onto your cabin trunk.
I'm trying to soak up all you guys are saying cause I know nothing of sailing and have a desire to learn how to train a sailboat to do what I wish. Thinking about what you said above: I have been faced in powerboats with high seas especially6 at the bar and the thought of tons of water crashing on my vessel was always foremost in my mind. I remember the first time when powering into the swell the bow went completely under and I said my prayers. I was sure I was going to turn my nice searay sundancer into a submarine but not so, she just recovered nicely in time for me to prepare for the next one.
The difference here I think is that in my case by adjusting the throttle I had better control than possible with sail avoiding damage. Is that correct? Please remember I am just trying to understand having never been under sail in a storm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook