SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To versus Bare Poles
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To versus Bare Poles

we sailed a seidelmann 37 sloop in gom with a sailor who bowed to the magenta line god. we hit every tboomer florida had to offer. with some, noaa reported winds to 71 kts....i thought it was work, but we were too busy to figger how much work until it was done.
what we did was continue on. rolled furler jib into a small triangle and continued onward. was not fun but we didnt have desire to sit in any 10 ft 8 second interval breaking confused seas... nasty .
when we were young and learning to sail, uncle phil would do something and say --ok we do this here, but at sea you do this other thing--he recommended heaving to, but he sailed without engines or modern stuff. we learned line squalls in hudson r°ver.
seems to me when you are out in them then you find you do something different than you plan as seas are a huge consideration in weather sailing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41 and ericson 35mII
cruising tropical mexico at present, working my way southward

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook