SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013

Delezynski is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

In April 2007 we did a haul out in La Paz Mexico. During that haul I noticed the rudder on our boat had side to side play in the pintle & gudgeons. On our boat they are heavy bronze fitting and I am sure the cost would be very high to replace them. Also, they looked in very good shape, just a bit loose where the pin fits into the cavity.

I shimmed our our pintle and gudgeons using high-density polyethylene or HDPE, better known as the plastic milk cartons are made out of. You can see photos and brief write up in our position report at:
Guenevere's Position Reports April 1, 2007

I bring this up now as I just got back from working on Guenevere in the storage yard. During today’s task, I removed the tiller for refinishing.

With the tiller off, I did a check of how the rudder is and how the shimming has held up. As of now, I can find NO PLAY in the rudder beyond what was there when I did the shimming! So, after thousands of miles, it's still tight and secure but turns/swings easy!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube page -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook