SailNet Community - View Single Post - SSCA Annapolis Gam
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: SSCA Annapolis Gam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrna View Post
Donna - geez I am getting of getting blamed for good habits. Wait until I introduce you to the bad habits.
I got stood up again and left high and dry by someone that promised to meet up. Gary is now safe forever as my main man! Name withheld.
This was my 8th SSCA gam I think. For the life of me I do not understand those sailors that live in the area on why the do not attend. No where and I mean no where is there any place where you can get an education on sailing from the authors who wrote the book, in a small environment, rub elbows with sailors who have done it all, for a small price, and have so much fun doing it. Enough said.
I have to take issue with this statement an am sure to be ridiculed by the usual suspects.

First ,I am an SCCA memeber. Having attended the Gam once I can tell you its a great gathering and certainly worth going to. But lets be real here. At the risk of offending I must say there is more to sailing than a cruising lifestyle. To think that only those who follow this lifestyle are really "true" sailors is part of the attitude problem. I have even been told by one of them that I "park" my boat during the week and they are the true sailors because they liveaboard, this in spite of the fact we sail many more miles than they do in a year.

You dont have to be a liveaboard to be a true sailor. It is one aspect or group of the sailing community. Not the lead group. not the top group, and certainly not the only group. Its easy when part of a group to lose sight of the fact that the majority of sailors are not necessarily in this group. Most of us dont want to live aboard our boat permanently, but applaud those who do as they are fulfilling THEIR dream. It isnt necessary to castigate others by belittling them for not sharing in YOUR vision.

These others also have fun, gatherings, belong to yacht clubs, sailing orgainzations, racing organizations, CG Auxilliary etc. I would bet the majority of the sailors on Sailnet belong to this group as oppposed to the cruising community

There are many good sailors in this area who get good educations in other aspects besides cruising. There are many courses seminars through the year given on boating, engine maintaience, racing, survival, etc. in the Annapolis area.

The Chesapeake area in particular has many racing groups. You certainly can get a good education or commradiere and have a great sailing experience in them also. YOu do not need to cruise to get this. You do not need to rub elbows at a Gam to get this. Rememeber I am not saying it isnt worthwhile, just saying its not the only thing out there and that to get a true sailing experience maybe its better to try lots of different gatherings or groups.

The problem when you are a memeber of a "cult" you forget that the majority may not see things they way you do. Telling them you dont understand why they dont attend is not necessary and could be seen by others that only those who do attend are the "real" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook