SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartering a sailboat in Sicily!
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Chartering a sailboat in Sicily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougSabbag View Post
Paulo - This is excellent information you shared! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

About the Sardinia / French Corsica / Ponza advise, would they be too cold in early March? That is when we are doing this. So, we thought the more southern area would be better - but it sounds like you would know a lot better than me!

I am about to paste a long quote right straight from the Sicilian chartering web site, would you review it and perhaps add your anchorage info, etc.???

And would we enjoy this itinerary - either the Northern one or the southern?

"Starting your cruise from our base in Palermo, a city of numerous monuments, you can sail East to Cefalu, a bustling tourist resort built about the original picturesque fishing village. Within 35 miles from the coast lies the Archipelago of the Aeolian Islands. There are 7 islands that are peaks of volcanoes and two remain active: Stromboli and Gran Cratere on Vulcano. Although there are no really secure harbours, there are sufficient harbours and anchorages sheltered from the prevailing summer winds to make it well worthwhile cruising around this magnificent archipelago. The normal summer winds are from the NW occasionally going around the W. There may also be winds from the NE. Choosing to sail North of Palermo at 36 miles there is Ustica island also an island of volcanic origin.

Our second base in Sicily is located in Marsala, a picturesque town, founded by the Carthaginians , well known from the popular wine. Marsala it's a pleasant relaxed place from where you can sail North West for visiting in a range of 25 miles the Egadi Islands that are three principal islands, Favignana, Marettimo and Levanzo, or sailling South for visiting Pantelleria, an island of volcanic origin, and the barren rocky island of Lampedusa that has recently become popular for the good underwater fishing around the coast. Marsala is also ideal as a starting point to Malta (120 miles) and of course to Tunisia
."

Thank you!
I cannot comment what I don't know but because I was sailing on that region I had a good look at google earth and Sicily does not look very good neither Pantelaria or Lampedusa.

Regarding climate I am not sure that Sardinia, at least from the middle to the south is colder than Sicily.

Click in animation on this site:

Regional Map | Weather Underground

and look for average temperatures on both places on those sites:

Sardinia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weather in Sicily - average temperatures for Sicily, Italy from knowital.com

http://www.knowital.com/weather/sardinia/

Mars can be pretty cold unless you live in a cold climate, for one used to a Mediterranean climate it is cold and also quite unstable with a lot of rain and the weather can turn quite nasty on the Med at that time. The French old navy sailors called the Med "La Garce" that could be freely translated by "the bitch". You can get lucky...or not.

April is better and May a lot better.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-02-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook