SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips or Suggestions, Sailing from San Diego to San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013
The Witchdoctor

medicrene is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips or Suggestions, Sailing from San Diego to San Francisco

The trip is possible during this time of year, but it is rough. I did it once. I actually moved well during a weak storm that gave me a push upward. But I don't reccomend it. The next day I went out again, got beat up and returned to Dana Point.

Tip one - Turn on the motor

Tip two - if the winds and wave are big, your boat will not make way north. In my hunter I once was only make 0.5 knts per hour for more than 8 hours at half way between Morro Bay and Monterey. It was really depressing to know I could be walking faster than I was motoring.

Tip 3 - take a friend. If you can't find crew for the whole trip, take one for the leg from Morro Bay to Monterey and from Santa Barbar to Morro Bay. If you anchor at the Cojo anchorage just south of Point concpetion, you might be able to do it solo (about 12 hours). And plan to motor around point concpetion at night when the winds are down.

Tip 4 - Have excellent foul weather grear and warm underpants.

Tip 5 - Head north from San Diego, go two nautical miles past Point Loma. Turn 180 Degree and start heading to Mexico. Find SeaHag and have a drink with her.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to medicrene For This Useful Post:
64Triton (10-02-2013)