SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tips or Suggestions, Sailing from San Diego to San Francisco
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
Re: Tips or Suggestions, Sailing from San Diego to San Francisco

64Triton, you are on the right path. From a navigation standpoint, most of the tankers and container ships will be well to the seaward of you as they have to stay outside of the marine sanctuary area of the central coast. You will encounter a fair number of tugs, tugs with tows, various commercial fishing boats besides the private yachts all heading down for the Ha Ha. Brush up on recognizing lights. Your trident sits pretty low in the water. If you are going to be in the yard, for a few dollars more you might want to invest in a masthead tricolor. Even my 34 footer sits pretty low and the hull or pulpit mounted running lights don’t project very well. In the fall it still will be bone chilling cold at night. Wear fleece and thermals under your foulies. Another good investment is one of those stainless steel Nissan thermos’. We fill ours with boiling water at dinner time so the night watches can drink hot coffee, tea or chocolate. Miso soup mix works really well too. Know what your consumption per hour is for your atomic. Plan on it not being so good during your trip and besure to bring along some "Mama's gas". There are no fueling stops between Morrow and Monterrey. Also plan on your boat speed being lower - your boat will spend as much time motoring up and down waves as it does moving horizontally. Plan on a very poor VMG (I use 68% of hull speed for my planning purposes and am never dissapointed - sometimes pleasantly surprised, but never disapointed). Beisdes the waves you will be bucking, there is a slight current moving south that you will be fighting.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook