SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tea Tree Oil Recipe
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
Re: Tea Tree Oil Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I presume that is the stuff in Damp Rid? I do that too. I just buy the refill for about $5 that reloads about 8 or 10 baskets. Each will collect about a cup of water over the winter and I sit them in each sink so they would drain overboard if they froze and broke. I doubt that's really all that meaningful, but its cheap. Better than nothing, but no replacement for Kanberra, IMO.

At a mooring or slip? Seems a slip would provide power. If you stay in the water at our marina (no liveaboards), you get a meter and pay for what you use.
a. A dehumidifier--even the smallest--would remove 10x that amount of water over the winter, at least 1 gallon per month even in the cold (assuming the air is not too dry). That is why CaCl2 doesn't work; the amount required to keep the humidity where it needs to be is impractical.

b. Slip with unmetered power. However, ice storm power failures being what they are it is nice to have independent systems. And I like to tinker. For example, folks that rely upon heaters for winterization are rolling the dice.

That said, tea tree oil has proven bacteriostatic properties at the recommended doses--I've tested this in the lab. Vapors (at any concentration you could stand) won't kill a healthy colony, but they can put a damper on spread. My wife likes the smell, I don't, so we use tea tree oil at home and not on the boat.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook