SailNet Community - View Single Post - Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013

bfloyd4445 is on a distinguished road
Re: Offshore bluewater cruising - what sailboat would be best?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post
B,

I think you might have misread my post.

We moved aboard our 27 footer in 1996.

We both had jobs and worked until 2004.

In 2004, we went out the gate and turned left.

In 2008 we had a family emergency, put our boat in a slip on mainland Mexico and commuter cruised from here to there until we bought a trailer.

Now cruise half time, any place that has a good road leading to it.

We feel our boat is very comfortable to live aboard. NOT ALL trailer boats are, but many of them can be with a bit of work!

What we did think was interesting, during our cruising, three (3) boat owners offered to trade straight across, there boat for ours. All three offers were very serious offers. And the boats were in good condition, actively being cruised and in the 37 to 41 foot range, and well known cruising boat makes.

I think the offers point to the condition a lot of full time cruisers find themselves in. We met many cruisers "trapped" on there boats! They sold everything to go cruising and now can't get back as the boat has lost value. Or the boat was in an area that made it just to hard to get back home. They are paying bills month after month for a boat they no longer want in a place they are tired of going to and can't get the price they think they have to get.

Greg
my interpretation of your first post sounds much more adventurous than reality.....chuckle......I know exactly what your saying and only have little boats now bbecause of there ability to go anywhere except blue water cruising. but you and others have taught me that even that is possible with the right boat. I am considering something like a wetsnail for my next boat but never for a livaboard....not enough room on a boat for all my junk
best wishes
Britt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook