SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

Godot is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Absolutely agree! Raw excrement should never end up in the landfill, and that includes all those people who dump filled diapers, or dog crap into the garbage stream. If you can't fully compost the waste (which takes ~3 months I've read) then it should be dumped out at sea, just like a normal marine head (once you're out past legal limit). Either that or should be dumped on land away from human activity, buried in a shallow hole.
I've thought of this a bit lately and I don't think I understand the problem. WHY should raw excrement be such a big problem in landfills? As I understand it, they are built with heavy barriers underneath to keep from contaminating ground water (because, right or wrong, bad things are always going to be thrown in land fills). But, more than that, it seems to me that the half cooked compost recipe will be just as likely to continue cooking in a landfill as out of it, although perhaps slower (but maybe not...don't landfills get very warm, and doesn't the extra heat speed decomposition? Or does getting buried remove too much oxygen?).

Not having children, I also wonder what the recommendation would be for disposing of baby diapers, if the trash is not a good idea. And has millions upon millions of dirty diapers caused any kind of problem?

I think it was the c-head guy, but maybe someone else, who suggested "treating" the waste in a pickle bucket with bleach in order to legally be allowed to dump it. What are your views on this?

Not intending to be snarky, and these are serious questions. Leaving aside any legal restriction, I'm looking at the moral and ethical impact of dumping the waste.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook