SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

flandria is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to flandria
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

[
Quote:
COLOR="LightBlue"]Absolutely agree! Raw excrement should never end up in the landfill, and that includes all those people who dump filled diapers, or dog crap into the garbage stream. If you can't fully compost the waste (which takes ~3 months I've read) then it should be dumped out at sea, just like a normal marine head (once you're out past legal limit). Either that or should be dumped on land away from human activity, buried in a shallow hole.[/
Quote:
QUOTE]
[/COLOR]
There was quite an extensive thread on this topic a while ago, and, again, the need to dispose of "material" before it is fully decomposed (e.g. the 3 months+) defeats the purpose for me. You would have to be able to transfer the holding tank (and use a new one in the interim) to a location where it can "finish the job". Just how many tanks you'd end up with - and how to securely maintain the ones on shore - adds up to logistics that tell me: stop at the pump-out, once a week or when necessary, and let the marina or municipal sewage system take care of it.

Now, on a 27' boat, there is not a lot of room... but since you are talking "live aboard", you may spend most of your time in the marina, anyway, and make use of on shore facilities much of the time...

Last edited by flandria; 10-03-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook