SailNet Community - View Single Post - Long Term Live Aboard at St Tomas VI (US)
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013
Laugther is Good Medicine

HighFly_27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HighFly_27 Send a message via MSN to HighFly_27
Re: Long Term Live Aboard at St Tomas VI (US)

FarCry

I appreciate your detailed explanation about St Thomas... really helped.

My intention's are to live at St Thomas (based there) and come back to US once or twice a year. I'd stay in the US for 45 days or so and airline back to there. I'm fully retired and if my heath declines, I'd sell my I-37 and return to the US. The only med. I need is 30/70 insulin, sells for $ 24.00 a vial at Wal-Mart. I'd want a power hook up (full service) at the marina. I like AC and creature comfort, I hate being toasted and not being able to sleep, etc. .

I have one child, he's in college and it's unlikely he'd have an interest in the boat while in school and then starting a job after graduation. I don't think I'd remain at St Thomas or anywhere after a few years. Starting off, I'd explore the Caribbean chain and base out St Thomas and be moored there. Later, I'd want live at the East end (your suggestion) with the best hurricane protection at east end marina's. I don't know what the wait time would be in months but would be worth it to protect your boat & peace of mind.

I forgot to ask about theft. I'm solo and would be away from my boat for 45 days at a time. My boat is a 1970 year model and not likely to be stolen like a newer boat. I'd want to lock up my expensive (carry off) electronics & like items at the marina or wherever I could rent a secure lock box ?

What type of medical facilities are there. I'm not doctoring at this time, just wondering. I see a VA doctor once a year for a check up, one of my reasons for coming home to the US. The airline travel is about $ 1,400.00 a shot from Bonifay, FL for round trip, X's 2 = $2.8 K.

I assume that a Boat Watch Service for -- leaks, mooring security or pull out for a hurricane could be arranged while I'm in the US from the marina. My 1st selection for choosing a marina would be based on being trustworthy and boat security while I was away. I realize that I could/ would strike up a boat owner relationship with the folks around me and that may work out.

Thanks again,

Avery

Last edited by HighFly_27; 10-03-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook