SailNet Community - View Single Post - Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Composting Toilets vs. Holding Tank

We’ve had a composting head for three years now. We wanted very much to like it – and in fact did love it for the first year or so. At first having to constantly empty the liquid container seemed a small price to pay for not having to deal with holding tanks and pump-outs, but now we’re much less convinced. After another recent infestation, we’ve come very close to deciding to remove the composter and to reinstall a conventional marine head and holding tank. We’ve had fruit fly and fungus infestations intermittently and when they occur it’s an absolutely disgusting cleanup job. I think the medium was getting and staying too damp and we've rectified that to some degree (part of which means not using the toilet on port tack!), but the next time I find fungus or fruit flies - I'm done!

As for the LectraSan, I've heard them pretty widely praised for areas that aren't NDZ. If you're going into NDZ areas you have to keep the regular holding tank in parallel, which takes up a lot of space. They're also very expensive.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook